Wednesday 16 December 2015

My art update for this week

Hi all,

I know I have been a little rubbish with my consistency in posting up my work due to art tests. I though it was about time I shared with you what I have done for one of them at least. Unfortunately I didn't have my application furthered with this piece and I will do through what I thought went wrong with you as well.




Above are some of the renders from my latest art test. If you have been following my blog for any length of time you will know that I am mainly a hard surface modeller. When I received my task and noticed that it was organic I did crap myself just a little. As you can see certain things turned out pretty well whilst others looked pretty weak.

I guess I will start with what turned out good... The loose rocks and foliage I feel turned out really well. After refining a pipeline for these they were quick and easy to reproduce. I used this pipeline for a later art test that I am still in the application process for so I will share that after I have had a decision made whether I have the job or not. The broken pillar attached to the wall turned out ok (not brilliant but passable) as well. I am pretty rusty in Z Brush and really I have no excuse for not using it more. I think it could have definitely turned out better with more detail in the high poly model but my skills aren't good enough yet ( I am spending more time in Z Brush now to up my skill level) to produce the detail required for a better model.

The wall and the tree is where My piece was really let down. I realised doing this that the tree should have been UV'd better than the method I choose to go down which would have enabled me to do normals to define the shape of the trunk more. It ended up being pretty flat and should have had more character. The lighting of the tree leaves and branches didn't quite turn out right so I will definitely be looking into that further too. I tried to use the slide normal thief plugin to correct the lighting of the foliage as a organic body but I needed some more time to learn how to get it right for next time.

The wall... well, the wall was a little bit of a mess. To save Time I tried to do this completely in 2D and NDO and really I lacked the fidelity to get the most out of it. I think creating a Tiling wall in ZBrush would have been the better way to go now by using the same method as how I created my standalone rocks.

I guess from this piece I have learnt a lot about how to recreate Organic objects (I still have a long way to go but as I did this in 6 Days I can say its not a bad effort for a starting point) and can no longer be complacent about not learning Z Brush. I trusted myself enough to craft out some rocks and the pillar and they turned out at least OK. I think a little more time and effort into learning the ins and outs of ZBrush will really help me as an artist from here so I may take a bit of time away from my tiger to learn ZBrush and get it cemented into my work flow.

I think to push my knowledge further with organic objects I will continue to work on this piece until I am happy enough to put it on my Portfolio. This way I won't let the things that let me down stagnate and left forgotten until I need to do them again next time.

That is all for this weeks early post. I will keep you updated as to how I am progressing with my own work as well as job applications as I do them.

No comments:

Post a Comment