Thursday 18 February 2010

Airport design continued

I recently posted up some of my initial ideas and influence for my airport but didn't post up any of my other stuff I had done at that time so this is like my catch up session.
After doing my research I started to formulate what I wanted to get out of this design. I wanted it to have a flowing organic feel that expressed in itself its elements of futuristic design. With all architecture the design is built around its purpose so I looked into peoples ideas of futuristic transport.From looking at these I realised that convensional shaped craft in the future would probably not exist as planes may then be vertical take off and have some sort of anti gravity function (being all sci fi like =D) i thought this would aid my design of my airport as this would be based in a mountain. On snowy peaked mountains there is obviously little ground to build run ways so a vertical take off hanger would fit quite nicely into my design aspects.
I started dgetting initial ideas drawn downI started to draw out ideas from my head to get some initial ideas down. and what I came up with after a while of drawing was this...After I finished doing this design I knew this was perfect for what I wanted to achive from this airport. the curves were organic in their look and looked similar to avalanche precautions they put over the top of roads to stop them being cut off and blocked if a avalanche occurs.

The hanger was going to have to be a special kind if it was to accommodate for V.T.O's taking off and landing in it. I designed a revolving hanger bay that spins to accomodate mor planes at its front. It shelters planes one inside by keeping them away from the elements as only a limited fraction of the hanger is visible to the cliff face, and with closable doors at its front its protected there too from the snow. this is what it looks like...

No comments:

Post a Comment