Tuesday 2 February 2010

Airport design

It seems to have been a little while since I've posted up anything on here. after the finishing of my last projects, (which i need to post on my blog) we've now been given new projects of building a futuristic airport, making a cup of tea in the most inventive way that we can, a board game and a 3000 word essay on my development as a multimedia practitioner. I thought I'd kick my first post off with talking a bit about my thoughts for my airport.

I'm pretty heavily involved with my university's snow sports club and every year we have to endure the same 20-24 hour coach journey to the resorts located in the French Alps. What i thought was that there was a definite lack of direct travel to resort to make travelling more..... painless. My initial idea was to build a airport directly into the mountain as I thought by this point planes wouldn't be restricted by run ways and would probably be vertical take off.
This gave me the idea for a hanger that was stacked not in in rows along the ground, but in a vertical fashion, on-top of one another where the taking off points extend and retract to give planes easy take off and landing points.

For a starting point I gathered some initial photo's of existing air ports, mainly from aerial view to begin to get a feel for how a present airport it built and laid out.


I also wanted to get a feel for how the architecture was like inside airports so i started to gather some images on buildings that are in everyday airports like radio towers and waiting rooms ect....



I realised these were pretty good examples of today's use of buildings on architecture but I started to wonder, if in the future things are going to change so much, how will airports, if there are still uses for airports, change. Will there still be uses for passport checks or will there be some other form of checking, how will security checks have changed, will their be long waits and needs for large waiting rooms, will airports be like taxi ranks as transport may be so efficient the may no longer be need for larger planes but many small ones? I feel these are all valid questions that i will have to figure before I really start to design the lay out of my airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment