Friday 29 May 2015

Tiger Tank Cupola Update

Hi all,

Though I would give you a update on how I have been progressing on my Tiger Tank. With this week being bank holiday Monday in the UK (Over which I went to a music festival Dot to Dot Nottingham and saw lots of great bands such as Amber Run and Saint Raymond) I've only managed to fit in a little bit of modelling but now the Cupola is really starting to take form with those extra detail that really polish a model. .

This week I looked at modelling the hinge system that connects the hatch to the drum cupola. The hinge works on a 3 piece system with 2 hinges and a link to help close the lid on this great beast. The main Hinge seats underneath what looks like a spring system that would help the commander lift the hatch of his cupola. as the lid was 15mm thick it mush have been fairly heavy. The hatch diameter was 420mm lined with a thick rubber seal to prevent water form entering in deep wading and heavy weather conditions.


Tiger Drum Cupola

The hinge in itself seemed pretty complex for its purpose but the Tiger in general was notorious for being ridiculously over engineered. In WW2 to consider which nation had the least fuel and metal to come up with an idea for a fuel munching metal beast like the Tiger tank was almost insane. 


Hinge Technical Drawings

Above is the technical drawings of the commanders hatch lid hinge. I noticed that the fall off curvature from the hinge wasn't quite right in comparison to what is shown from Pictures taken of Tiger 131 in the Bovington Tank Museum. I altered my model whilst using the measurements given to more accurately depict the hinge.


Hinge Wireframe


Hinge Turbo Smoothed

The eyelet that connects the two Hinges looks almost like a bike chain with a little extra to help the lid rest in a stable position when opened.



Eyelet Link technical Drawing


Wireframe of Link


Turbo Smoothed Link

The final bit of the hinge is now the bit that is connected to the drum itself. its more or less the mirror of the first  hinge I made but with a few different features.


Second Hinge Technical Drawing


Wireframe of Second Hinge


Turbo Smoothed Second Hinge

So the top of the Cupola is starting to take shape now, I have a few more things to do then I can add the 18 degree offset to the top details. Its just easier to keep things this way until the end as any 3D person will know.


Progress So Far =)




What the Top of the Cupola Will Look like with the 18 Degee Offset


That's all for this week, I hope to catch you back here soon. Till then take care and have fun playing what every you play. Before I go I would like to thank the Tiger website I have been using for all your technical drawings. You have been a great resource. Find the link to it here

No comments:

Post a Comment