Wednesday 1 April 2015

Substance Painter 2

Hi all again,

I said I would give you a look into some of my playing around with substance, so here it is. I started with a rifle I've had lying from poly count around and built a low poly to get some bakes off it. 

Don't pay any attention to the smoothing groups on the low poly models because Lightwave. Lightwave is terrible at smoothing groups and unwrapping so I did all that in Max before I baked everything. I just have these in Lightwave to show you the models 






Once I had all the models prep'ed for baking I took it into substance designer to get all my maps baked. I'm pretty impressed with the baker from substance as its pretty quick to get results, however you cant do bakes at the moment anything other then square textures. I unwrapped my model with the mindset of doing a 1x2 texture (2k by 4K). I found this out a bit too late which was a bit annoying but meh you live and you learn.

Having had a bit of playing around with substance before this model I have a few tricks that I know work to get decent results pretty quick and here are the results of a hours work in substance on the rifle. I still have to do some refinements before I call this one finished like some illustrations to stamp on and some texture refinements from the particles I used, but for a hours work its incredibly fast to get half decent results.




Till next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment