Friday 20 November 2015

Back to the Tiger. Hull Progression

Hi all and welcome back,

After a brief time away from my Tiger tank I have started to work on it again. Now I have a lot more free time I can probably get this finished fairly quickly, especially as this will be one of my main portfolio pieces as well to show my hard surface modelling skills. I have been busy updating my portfolio with all my latest work and contacting agents to see what jobs are going. With things being so close to Christmas its a bit of a rubbish time to be made redundant as its normally harder to find a job but I definitely need to put the effort in with the searching if I'm to find anything.

So I'll give you guys a quick update on what I've been doing over the last few days. After finishing off my Rifle and getting that into my portfolio I  returned to my Tank. As it stood I had just got onto the hull and was finding how the plating fitted together. The front drive wheel is proving a little tricky to get any substantial reference imagery to show me how it fitted together so whilst I was busy searching for some good imagery I thought I would make a start on some of the front plate details like the front machine gun bulge and the drivers port window.

I had the task of getting my project back into 3ds Max from Lightwave. Moving programs again, back to Max, has really boosted my understanding of the program. I look for alternatives for tools I was using before in Lightwave within Max and am finding really cool ways of doing the same thing. It's been a bit of a struggle to get my speed back up after working in Lightwave for so long but I am gradually improving and getting better, so that is a reassuring plus.



I made a start on the mud flaps but there are pretty basic at the moment and aren't in a state to be shown yet but this is more or less what it looks like so far. There are a few things I need to look at with scaling like the front plate being a tad high but on the whole its going nicely.


I took the time as well to try out Keyshot to get some nice renders of my work in progress. I was surprised how easy and quick it was to get really nice looking renders with minimal effort. After struggling so much with Lightwave to get something professional looking I think I will be using this from now on to showcase my work. 




You will probably notice I have taken off those nasty welds as well. I have tried a few things now within a subdivision modeller to get them looking nice but I think I will resort to a package like Z brush to help me with that now at the end of the modelling project. I will probably have a few test runs getting out something that I might show in the coming week or so. I think a good textured brush using the lazy mouse will give me some nice results.

Thats all for this weeks update, hopefully I will have some better news on the job front to share soon. Till next week, have a nice weekend and take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment