Friday 10 July 2015

Tiger Tank Stowage Bin Continued...

Hi and welcome back,

Just a quick update on my Tiger stowage bin progression. Its completion has been a little show this week as I have been taking it a little easier with my late night working. I made a bit of a mistake which wasted a bit of time on but ill let you know about that as I go through this post.

This week I have been modelling the lock mechanism for the stowage bins that currently exists on the Tiger 131.  Its not been easy to get some decent close up reference of the locks. I recently bought the Haynes Tiger Tank maunal. This book Just happened to have the image I needed so that was a massive stroke of luck.



I have found it a fascinating read and for the price of around £10 good bargain as well. The book talks about the design choices made, design specification changes throughout the various model designs and different concepts this tank went through before the final design that recognise today came to fruition. The book also covers the Tiger war developmental changes during the war and following tank conversions such as the almost ludicrously armed Sturmmorser Tiger.


The Sturmmorser Tiger Sporting the 38cm RW61 Rocket Assisted Morter

I mentioned I made a error whilst doing the clip and lock for the Stowage Box. Whilst doing the Lock I decided to do as a complete mesh rather than splitting away the geometry as separate elements.

After finishing my first lock I realised that to save on the over all poly count (and have nicer geometry) it would be more efficient to split off the problematic geometry. I remodelled the Lock again as separate parts and here was the results



Non Smoothed Geometry (first model on the right new one on the left)


Turbo Smoothed Geometry

I don't know what I was thinking when I decided to try do it in one mesh but as you can see from the pictures, splitting the object up is so much more efficient and neater.

With the lock modelled I went ahead with the latch that it attaches onto the Stowage bin. 

This brings me up to my current work in progress level. I still have a bit more to do, adding welds and positioning some of the metal brackets. Hopefully I'll be moving towards for front of the turret with the distinctive mantlet and gun of the Tiger in the coming weeks.  I hope you all have a good weekend and I'll see you here next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment