Friday 3 July 2015

Tiger Tank Stowage Bin

Hi all and welcome back for my late week post.

This week I want to show you where I am at with my Tiger Tank. I have been looking at the Stowage bin that typically was seated on the back for the Turret.


Tiger 131 Getting Some Maintenance 

I referred to my usual places to get some sources to get dimensions, measurements and source imagery for reference. Having done some digging I found that there was a few positions that Tiger Stowage bins were placed other than the typical back of turret arrangement that many will be familiar with. They also differed in shape similar to that of panzer 3 Stowage bins.



The Standard Back Bin Arrangement


Late Turret With Typical Back Stowage Bin

Some of the Stowage bins like the Bin that was attached to the s.Pz.Abt.502 Tiger companies didn't have the bowed out design like what is on the 131 Tiger. It was a single lid design that had parallel sides.


Early Turret Bin Designs Used by the s.Pz.Abt.502 Tank Companies.

There was also a wide bin arrangement that was the first design for a turret bin on the Tiger which was quickly made obsolete by covering over new port and hatch designs. The bins were attached to Some of the early Tigers that were shipped to Africa in November 1942.



First Stowage Bin

There were also side Bin designs such as shown in the picture of the tiger tank on parade in the picture below.


Side Bin Arrangement

For my Stowage bin I am looking at the same design as is currently on the Tiger 131. This is the standard rear stowage storage bin that is recognised as the stereotypical design on the tigers turret. Its design is featured in World of Tanks and War Thunder ground forces also.


World of Tanks Tiger



War Thunder Tiger

I still have more work to do on it bin, such as weld lines, clips and locks for the lid covers. I also have to clean up the geometry to get a cleaner curve but you can see the direction in which the model is going before I marry it up with the rest of my turret. I'm away this weekend again in Penzance on the southern part of the UK so I wont be finishing this off this weekend but will probably get this finished mid next week. I have pans there on to start on details at the front of the Turret getting the mantlet and 88 guns modelled. I have been leaving these till last as I think they will be the most fun to model out of the Turret so far.


Tiger Tank Stowage WIP by dna87 on Sketchfab

That's all for this week! I hope you all have a great weekend and make the most of the nice weather that seems to be happening throughout the whole of Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment