Friday 17 July 2015

Tiger Tank Turret Escape Hatch

Hi all and welcome back for another Tiger Tank update.

This week I have been modelling the escape hatch that is situated at the back of the Tigers turret. The shapes on the hatch were a nice challenge and pretty fun to model, so I hope you like what I've done with my progress this week.




Tiger Turret Escape Hatch Location

The escape hatch was regularly used as a way of restocking ammunition that had been used in combat. The hatch due to its thickness was very heavy. The weight of the hatch meant it could not be closed once opened from the inside; someone had to stand on the rear above the engine deck to physically lift the hatch back into place. This was a major complaint from crews throughout the war but was not something that was corrected. This was probably due to the lack of materials that Germany has at the time of the Tigers production to add such a minor change to something that was really only needed at times of emergency or restocking ammunition. The hatch was locked from the inside and the edge was lined with a rubber seal for deep wading.


Turret Escape Hatch Hinge


Tiger Turret Escape Hatch


The lid for the hatch was 80 mm thick that sat within the asymmetric horse shoe shell of the Tigers turret wall. The lid was flat unlike the rest of the curved turret wall surface but the lid met almost flush with the escape hatch sides due to its distinctive cuts along the circular side edges of the hatch lid. 



Here is my model from this weeks work, I hope you like it. If your wondering why I haven't the inside of the hatch I have decided not to do the interior of the tank as that would double the amount of time to finish the model. I may go back at some point after finishing the tank and look at the interior but I think for the mean time I will just do the exterior.  

I will only be doing my later post next week on my tiger tank. I feel a little stretched with work, gaming and posting on my blog. To get more work done on my Tiger I'm going to sacrifice some gaming time to get some more 3D work done. It's harder for me to get ships now in the open beta (due to the larger xp required to unlock ships) to do reviews on so it makes sense to slow down a bit with my ship reviews. I hope you understand but rest assured I will continue to do ship reviews, but probably on a fortnightly basis. I will however continue with my weekly tiger post so you guys know how I am getting on with this beast of a project =D.

I hope you all have a good weekend and I look forward to seeing you here next week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment