Friday 18 September 2015

Tiger Tank Muzzle Brake and Weekly Update

Hi all, and welcome back for my weekly report on weekly things done in the week!

Normally I would do a update prominently on my Tiger Tank but this weeks proceedings have been so interesting I thought I would let you in on what I have been doing at work this week. My work place is going through a little bit of a quite period whilst we are waiting on approvals to start projects so in the mean time we have been set some small projects to keep us sharp and up to date with our skills in 3D. This has nothing to do with client work but I thought this was a great idea/ use of free time (also a great opportunity as not many work places would allow you to do this kind of thing) and wanted to share with you what exactly I have been doing. 

One of my first challenges was to do a speed modelling exercises. I was given 2 hours to replicate a given model and present it to my bosses. A simple challenge but difficult nether the less. For this challenge we were given a image of a car wheel and told to come back after the 2 hours were up and see where we had gotten with it.


Reference Image for Modelling Challenge

In this challenge, how you spend your time and what you focus on getting right in your modelling work flow is crucial to a good end result. 2 hours is hard to get anything looking pucker so I tried my best and got this as a result.


2 Hour Wheel Challenge Result

You can obviously see where I have made short cuts to get this out in time but it was definitely fun to do. Given the time frame I didn't have time to dote on mistakes made and just had to run with it and get a finished result in the time set. Maybe next time I will spend a bit more time on my Tyre =D!

My next challenge was based on a well known exercise called the '3d cg sphere' project. For those that don't know about this exercise check out this website to get an idea of what its about. The premise is you are given a scene with a sphere already placed in it and a word to outline the theme. Your not allowed to change the camera position or divert wildly away from the sphere object but you have free creative license to change as you please.


Base CG Sphere challenge scene



CG Sphere Challenge Interpretation Examples

For example, here are some efforts I think are worth looking at and you will get the crooks of what I'm getting at. Some of the results artist come out with are really really cool and you should definitely check them out if you like what you've seen. 

Our Challenge was on the theme 'Mushroom'. This made it a fairly vague subject matter but I think this was intentional to see our creative responses to the challenge. I approached mine with a scifi take and took Aliens Isolation visual theming, mixed with my old game I worked on 'Eden Star'. The end result was a time capsule for Mushrooms in Year 'Alien'. My mum is a massive mushroom fanatic so this will probably please her. The whole challenge took about 7-8 hours to do with modelling texturing lighting & special effects so I hope you guys like it (insert anxious faced me here).


The Mushroom Preservation Capsule

Lucky for me I have another one on the theme of 'Junk Yard' so after the enjoyment of doing that one I'm happy to be doing another. I'll let you guys see the result of that one when I'm done.

Now I've gone through my working weeks work I'll get down to my Tiger Progress report. This week I made a good start on the Muzzle Brake of the Tiger tank. This is a hard shape to get right so I have tried my best to get a solid first effort before I refine it further and add the details in. It's still a work in progress as there is more to do but its a good start for a difficult model.



That's all for this weeks progress report. I know its been a bit brief with my tiger tank but I promise there will be more to come soon. I hope you have a great weekend like normal and I'll catch you here for my ship review early next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment